Tuesday, July 22, 2014

Happy 10th Birthday John!

It's hard to believe our John is turning 10 year old!
 

John's comment that he already wished on the hummus was refering to a trick I had played on him a few minutes earlier.  John LOVES hummus, so I jokingly brought-out a cake made of humus with a candle in it.  :D






As a note about the birthday cake, let me add that you'll pull your hair out trying to find a cake pan that forms a round shape in a store.  So I improvised wtih a glass Pyrex bowl and a Pyrex cake pan that I already own.  I used one box cake mix, and poured half the batter into one pan and half into the other. I baked the cakes, inverted them onto the cake stand...and wah-la!  A half basketball.  You could use the same round cake to make any type of ball, the Earth...whatever.  Also, I've used many different brands of food colorings to dye icings, but the BEST I've ever used is Ameri-Color, found at Hobby Lobby.  I used them for this cake as well as Christopher's guitar cake back in May, and the best thing about these colorings is that they don't alter the taste of the icing.






1 comment:

  1. can't believe that John is into two digits. It goes by so quickly....

    Love

    ReplyDelete