Sunday, September 15, 2013

Oakdale Baptist Church Homecoming 2013



On Sunday, I was able to experience my very first ever HOMECOMING!  
What a great time we had... 
We started with an exciting worship service where I was able to meet some folks who were new to me but known to the church.  Tim and I were especially pleased to meet Pastor Royce, who served as the interim at Oakdale before we came.  
Included in the service was the baptism of one child and the addition of 4 new members.  Tim preached a sermon titled "The Race of Faith" based on Hebrews 12:1-3.


Mrs. Linda, Church Historian, did a great job of overviewing some of the highlights in the church's 70-year history.  Since Oakdale constituted as a church in June of 1943 it has victoriously overcome a lot, including its facilities being burnt-down and rebuilt.  Matthew 16:18 says, "...and on this rock I will build My church, and the forces of Hades will not overpower it."
Carry on, Oakdale Baptist Church!

The choir sang an awesome rendition of You Were There:

AND THEN CAME THE FOOD!
In my years as a preacher's wife, I've been to a whole lot of church dinners.  But I have NEVER seen this much food at one time!  Everything was absolutely divine.  These people can cook some food!!!
And yes, they managed to keep both the preacher and the preacher's wife happy.  There were pans of  fried chicken for Tim, and a pig pickin' for me.  :)  

With this being my first ever North Carolina potluck, I discovered that my Tarheels really love two things: butter beans and deviled eggs!





How honored were we to find our family's picture included on the 70th Anniversary table!
One of my favorite parts of the day had to be meeting Mrs. Riggs, a former pastor's wife at Oakdale!  I've had such a wonderful time getting to know Mrs. Riggs' two delightful daughters over the last few months, both whom are members.  


Homecoming is certainly a happy Sunday!  

4 comments:

  1. What a beautiful day! Just imagine Jesus' Homecoming Day.....

    ReplyDelete
  2. It's 8:55 a.m.... day after homecoming... still full... skipping breakfast!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Mike and Kathy: I totally agree! Jesus' Homecoming is going to be something to behold. And I'm already looking forward to my Homecoming with you guys in Heaven. Promise you'll save me a seat beside you at the Marriage Supper???

    Anonymous: I know what you mean...I had to force myself to eat breakfast this morning! That was some crazy good food yesterday. :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. Sorry! I forgot the 'HH'... still so full I can't think straight! ;0)

    ReplyDelete