Saturday, December 11, 2010

Deacon Dinner

Friday night was one of my favorite nights of the year, the annual Clough Pike Baptist Church Deacon Dinner at Royal Oaks Country Club. It's one of the two nights out of the year (the other being our anniversary) when Tim and I get all dressed-up and head-out. We had a really good time this year, as usual, even though not all the deacons were able to come. Our church is exceptionally blessed with wonderful deacons and their spouses. We feel priveledged that they let us come to their dinner every year...
There's a story behind the full-length velvet skirt I wore. It was a little dressier than the "dressy casual" attire that was recommended, but it was special to me. My mom had this skirt made for herself when I was 3 years old (the same age as Anna is now), and had a dress made for me out of the same material. Mom and I wore our velvet to a special Christmas service that year, and we had our pictures taken together.
Mom gave me the skirt a few years ago, but it was too tight. If Mom could do it, though,I thought I could, too. So after several weeks of dieting and burning-up the treadmill, I got the skirt to zip all the way up for the first time Friday right before dinner: hooray! Granted, I couldn't take many deep breaths all evening (ha-ha). All I have to say, Mom, is that you were one skinny chick if that skirt fit you comfortably after three kids...



Daryl and Valeria Bisig

Stephanie and J.R. Bishop

Peggy and Wayne Garee

Patti and Greg Maschmeier

Kay and Daryl Gilliland

Sherry and Bob Dick

Al and Janice Adams

And our baby-sitters for the evening were Mike and Kathy Geers, who serve as "surrogate grandparents" for us here in Ohio.
The kids were so very excited for Mike and Kathy to come!