Monday, December 6, 2010

Children's Choir/Senior Luncheon

This past Sunday was a juxtaposition in ministry: it was Children's / Senior's Day. The service was kicked-off with the pre-school choir, consisting of 2-4 year olds singing "Away in A Manger" and "Happy Birthday." The cuteness factor was off the charts! I began by asking the children, "Boys and girls, who can tell the grown-ups out there why we have Christmas?" Laney (far right) began jumping up and down, screaming, "Because it's Jesus' birthday!!!!"

When we got to the part where Jesus lay DOWN his sweet head, Anna took it upon herself to act-out the words she sang and sit down on stage. I wasn't sure what she was doing, but Tim assures me it was dramatic interpretation.  :)




Children, from left to right: Nadia Privett, Jimmy Marcum, Caraline Klick, Natalie Davis, Matthew Irvine, Anna Jean Barnette, Ava Scanlan, Emerson Withrow, Laney Scanlan.

After the pre-schoolers sang, the Kindergarteners through third graders sang "Beautiful Star of Bethlehem." We had practiced since October, and they did GREAT! Unfortunately, a wicked stomach virus knocked out many of the kids; but the ones who were here compensated by singing louder. I have directed the children's choir this Christmas and last. I actually really enjoy it, although I don't totally know what I'm doing directing singing. My strategy is to just remember what Terrie Hannah used to do at Good Shepherd and try to act like her. So far, my plan has been a complete success!


Below, from left to right: Spencer Smith, Lukey Cooley, Sarah Schott, Kelsey Caner, Alex Rayl, Noah Smith.


Below, left to right: (not pictured) Josiah Robinette, Becky Davis, Bryson Robinette, John Barnette, Christopher Barnette, Jake Withrow, Spencer Smith.




After church, we attended the Senior Luncheon. I did the music. Interesting song selection: one of the songs that the song leader wanted to sing Because He Lives, which is typically considered an Easter song. However, he maintained that the song is just as much of a Christmas song, which I had never thought of before.





After eating, Anna crashed on Daddy's lap. I wonder what my children will remember about their lives as preacher's kids....




The big door prize for the event was this absolutely beautiful, hand-carved, working cuckoo clock that was made by one of the seniors, Leo Waggal. Get this: Leo makes these clocks (and all the similarly-carved Christmas ornaments that we all took home as gifts) using his scroll saw and his one good eye: Leo is half blind. Amazing! I must say that I was in a moral delimna up until the time of the drawing.... The dignified pastor's wife in me said that if they drew my name, I should graciously decline the clock and let one of the seniors win it. The sinful human inside me, however, said, "Heck yes I'm taking that clock home!!!" God solved the problem by drawing someone else.





Organizers of the luncheon, from left to right: Sheriann Robinette, Jennifer Schott, Clarence Cherry, Laurie Neal.



The bad news for the seniors: the same stomach virus that left the children's choirs missing children also left many of our seniors at home. The good news for our family: leftovers! There was a ton of food left because of the low attendance. A Clough Pike Baptist Church tradition is to send all dinner leftovers home with the pastor's family. I love that tradition!