Friday, November 12, 2010

Clingman's Dome, Tennessee

Greetings from Gatlinburg, Tennessee! This is our family's 10th annual fall trip to the Great Smoky Mountains, and this trip looks like it's going to be the best: the weather is PERFECT! At a comfy 71 degrees and sunny, God has given us a tremendous environment to relax.

We spent Thursday visiting Clingman's Dome, which is the highest point in the Smoky Mountains, and the 2nd highest point East of the Mississippi. It was awesome! To give you an idea of how high we were, the picture below is overlooking Pigeon Forge. You can't even see anything, can you??? Those are the buildings and roads down there.

OK. I took A LOT of pictures of the mountains from up there. The camera doesn't really do justice, but here's what the mountains looked like. Really, you could see mountains much further out than the camera could capture.


 It was perhaps the most beautiful place I'd ever seen....
From the parking lot, you could walk half a mile up to the Clingman's Dome tower. From up there, we had a 360 degree view of the Smokys.




Notice that radio tower behind the boys that we're actually looking down on.

I have to tell you, though... As amazing as the tower was, that half-mile hike up to the tower was vicious!!!! I have hiked 10-mile trails that were easier than that half mile paved path. I have NEVER walked on anything so steep in my life. My calves and hips are still aching. The view was worth it, though. And I shouldn't complain: Tim had to push a stroller up that hill!