Tuesday, October 8, 2013

Just A Swingin'

So I'm taking a walk through the neighborhood one morning when it's trash pick-up day, and low and behold I see this ABSOLUTELY PERFECT swing sitting on the curb of someone's house.  Who would throw-out a gem like that???  

What do I do?  Well, I run home and sweet-talk my husband into carrying it to our house so the kids and I can restore it.  

I mean, how much work could it be???
 So here's how I restore a porch swing... 

Step 1.  Realize that the swing isn't so perfect after all, and that most all of the slats are old and rotted and need replaced.  Hence why the neighbors were apparently throwing it out.

Step 2.  Since the frame IS in perfectly good shape, go ahead with the project.  Begin ripping-out the old rotted slats and rusty nails.

Step 3.  Try to figure-out the last time we all had tetanus shots.

Step  4.  Head to Lowe's and buy lumber.  In our case, pine.  Very fitting, I think, for a swing that will live in North Carolina.
Step 5.  Measure Twice.
 Step 6.  Cut once.
Step 7.  Say over and over and over and over, "Watch your fingers!" 

Step 8.  Nail the new slats in place.
 Step 9.  Say over and over and over and over, "Watch your fingers!" and "I am NOT nagging!"
 Step 10.  Clean the rust off the old chain with a Brillo pad.
Step 11.  Sand and paint.

Step 12.  Sweet talk your husband one more time into buying some hardware and hanging the swing for you, and...wah-la!  Enjoy your new...ish...swing.
Well, it turned-out to be more work than we expected, but the kids learned a lot about woodwork, and I'm rather proud of how we turned trash into treasure.  In the words of country singer John Anderson, "I can't believe I'm out here on the front porch in this swing..."

Bonus Questions!  WITHOUT GOOGLING the lyrics (No Cheating), answer in the comment section...
1.  Who can be the 1st person to tell me the first and last name of the girl John Anderson was swinging with in that 1982 country song?

2.  Brother was on the sofa, eating a chocolate pie.  Mama was in the kitchen, cutting-up a chicken to fry.  What was Daddy in the backyard doing?
(Answers in next post.) :D



6 comments:

  1. www.nashvillemuse.comOctober 9, 2013 at 8:30 AM

    Charlotte Johnson, daddy was rolling up a garden hose
    First time I heard that song on the radio - Super 102, I was on the way back to the station for a meeting. I thought we changed our format from Top 40 to country! I told John Anderson that story and he laughed big time!
    Proud of those nephews and my niece - great job on the swing!! Thanks for posting all the photos!

    ReplyDelete
  2. How did I know my brother the country songwriter would get those questions right???? --Kara :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. would not even take a guess and try to answer those questions, however, we do know about restoring things. GREAT JOB!! We love you all.....

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Mike and Kathy - That swing is BEGGING for you to come have a sit on it!!!

      Delete
  4. I hope you did not replace the slats that had character.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Dad - I'm afraid the slats had too much "character" to actually hold anybody up. But we like to think it has plenty of new character with an alligator green stain job. Look forward to hanging-out with you on my swing soon. Love and miss you.

    ReplyDelete