Sunday, May 11, 2014

Mother's Day

An Open Letter To My Children 
on Mother's Day 2014




I am thankful for you, Christopher, who made me a mother back in 2002.  It was on you I learned how to change a diaper, how to feed a baby, and how much I could love a human being that I had brought into the world.  I am thankful that you are turning into such a responsible, trustworthy boy who is talented in music and art, and who doesn't mind when Mommy needs your help with the computer.   I am thankful for your sweet and gentle spirit, and that you put the needs and wants of others before your own.  I am thankful that you like to serve others, especially those less fortunate.  I appreciate your sense of humor, and your desire to make people laugh.  Your jokes are funny!  And I am thankful that you are turning into such a good cook: I look forward to the day when you cook me a meal for the first time.  I'm so proud of the Godly young man you are.
I am thankful for you, John, because you have brought such joy into our lives  from the moment your 9 lb 12 oz self made its way into the delivery room back in 2004.  I never stop being amazed by how much "boy" is wrapped-up in you, John, nor how dirty you can manage to get when playing outside.  I love your heart for Jesus, how you care about lost people, and how you fearlessly talk about going into preaching or missions someday.  And even though I know you think you're too old for hugs and kisses from Mommy anymore, I believe that maybe...deep down...you still like them.  I admire your desire to do what's right and be obedient, even when surrounded by others who are not.  And I appreciate your sense of style:  you are the only 9 year old boy I know who likes to wear dress clothes.  I'm thankful that you ALWAYS like my cooking and that you're always willing to try new and exciting foods with Mommy.  You are a blessing to the Lord and to me, John.
I am thankful for you, Anna, who surprised me back in 2007 because I was just certain I was having a third boy.  But when God made you a girl, He REALLY made you a girl!  I love how you dance and sing, want to play in my make-up and have your nails painted, and how you like to wear a dress every single day.  I am thankful you are unashamed about praising the Lord in public, no matter who is listening or what they think.  I love your heart for elderly people.   You are becoming such a good reader, and I'm glad you never tire of  reading or talking about the Bible.  And although you are certainly a "Daddy's Little Girl," I am thankful that you take time to be Mommy's helper around the house or play dolls with me.  You are a beautiful young lady both inside and out.


Love You Bunches,
Mommy
3 John 1:4

1 comment:

  1. What beautiful comments about each one of your children. Everything you wrote, was so true about each one. I know you had a great Mother's Day!

    ReplyDelete